Wednesday 25 May 2016

REFERENDUM

To debate or not to debate, that is the question that is being addressed all around the country in the run up to the referendum vote.

In Somerset we have seen a flurry of activity; more often than not prompting the appearance of Paddy Ashdown sharing the platform with all comers. I was invited to participate, and in the absence of another willing victim found myself alongside him, and two others, ostensibly to put forward the case for ‘Brexit’.
This posed something of a personal dilemma as until recently I had thought, all things considered, we might be better off ‘in’.

As the pace quickens and the junk mail is churned out it is easy to see the rise in the level of desperation. We could be forgiven for coming to the conclusion that this is more about egos jockeying for position than how this may influence us and our families.
What has been sadly missing in the hyperbole and rhetoric that has grabbed the daily headlines, has been any hard evidence of the impact, one way or another.

The problem is that we live in such an uncertain, unpredictable, world. Uncontrolled events outside the sphere of the EU can impact catastrophically on almost every aspect of our lives, whether it be immigration, the economy, or security.
Whilst I am fiercely loyal I am not xenophobic. I am fortunate enough to own a property in France, and enjoy visiting our European neighbours but I am not sure I need to be joined at the hip to enjoy all that Europe has to offer.

In our daily lives, and in our businesses, we form good working relationships with others for mutual benefit. What I find worrying is that we are led to believe that the burden of the future of the EU rests entirely on our continued membership. I think this is unhealthy and highlights the disparity between member nations.

In listening to many of those keen for us to stay in the EU, I am left wondering how many of them have gained, or seek to gain in the future, a pecuniary or personal interest in the outcome. When Scotland voted to remain in the UK I do not recall this being on condition that we stay within the EU.    

Outsiders have also been quick to express their opinions, often invited to comment by one side or the other, but what we must remember is that they have their own agendas and their aims and aspirations may be at odds with ours.

There are arguments both for and against us staying in but as I see it both sides would do well to consider the Samaritans, who receive thousands of calls daily from those finding that they are forced to make difficult decisions about their futures. All listening Samaritans are taught from the start to never, ever, offer advice or cast judgment. Samaritans are taught to listen, not talk, and to allow callers to express their fears and worries, to consider all of their options and come to their own decisions.

On June 23rd this is what we will be required to do. What must surely be most important though is that no matter what our views we must all exercise our democratic right to vote.
It is unlike me to sit on the fence but for the time being I remain undecided. My decision may yet rest on how much more propaganda I receive in the meantime.


No comments:

Post a Comment