Monday 15 August 2016

Green travel in the countryside - impossible!

As I get older I count my blessings that I am lucky enough to be living in a small village that is quite self-sufficient; one that has the rare benefit of a pub, shop with post office, a school, two churches, a thriving village hall, a hairdresser and a regular bus service.

Perhaps more importantly, especially during the summer months when the A303 can be bumper to bumper with cars, either as a result of yet another accident, or carrying holiday makers to Devon and Cornwall for their hard earned summer break, there are five different access points. This means that no matter how jammed the traffic is I can still find a route to make my way home.

I do not enjoy driving, so on the rare occasions I am going directly from one place to another I do try to use public transport. Much of the time it is prohibitively expensive, but now that I am the proud holder of a senior railcard, it is rare for me to drive up to London to visit family these days.

Even in a town the size of Ilminster, where we have a large proportion of older not so able residents, it is no simple matter to get out and about further afield, although there is a regular affordable bus service to London. However, we only have ourselves to blame.
The way we lead our lives is significantly different to that of 20 or 30 years ago. 

Communities were more cohesive, with less need to look outside the local environment for education, work or pleasure. Technological advances have expanded our horizons considerably, and we are eager to take advantage of all that is on offer.

Whilst those who care for the future of our planet would wish us all to reduce our carbon foot print we also have a seemingly insatiable demand for all that the wider world offers – which invariably involves travel.

In parking my car at a recent event a local ‘green’ resident acting as car park attendant accosted me, shouting, ‘What ARE you doing in the car on your own?’. I pointed out, with just a hint of self-righteousness, that no-one else was travelling from the same direction, only to receive the sharp retort, ‘Well, you should have come by bicycle then.’

I found myself thinking that it was a simple matter for my protagonist, who lived barely a mile away and as a retiree has all the time in the world to get from A to B.

For most of us, time is a luxury as we juggle our commitments, lugging stuff from one place to another, travelling by any method other than one’s own car is just not a feasible option.  
Denying us this privilege, particularly by those who have already had ample opportunity to explore far horizons, seems hypocritical.   

I am travelling to India in September to visit at a women’s literacy project funded by Rotary. Whilst there I will mostly travel by train, because I will have the time to do so, travel is cheap and the country has one of the most efficient railway systems in the world.   


In the meantime, I do the best I can to support local activities and events, even if it means getting in my car to do so. As in all things, there has to be a balance and an understanding of others’ lifestyles and priorities.

No comments:

Post a Comment