Tuesday 30 April 2019

DIVIDED BRITAIN



The discussion over the reasons given for those who voted Brexit seem to be relentless.

I own a modest property in France, and someone who voted leave, I really resent the suggestion that, certainly in my case, it was largely because of immigration. I feel strongly that we should regain our autonomy and the ability to trade freely.

I believe that where we have gone wrong is, because of the animosity of those who are opposed to any immigration, our lack of actively encouraging integration.

When I visit France, the onus is on me to fit in with their customs and culture; hence my attempts at speaking the language, which is much appreciated by everyone I meet, and my wholehearted approach towards embracing their local customs. I have benefited greatly from my exposure and have done my subversive best to change their views towards us Brits; gifts of English wine, cheese and local delicacies give cause for much amusement and break the social ice.   

However, this is all a two-way street. This week, during his visit to the USA, Nigel Farage used the example of Oldham to demonstrate the deep divisions that exist in some areas of Britain. Much of the fault lies with us as for too long we have put up barriers to integration for those who choose to come and live here; it is no wonder that despite being in the UK for decades, many immigrants have little knowledge of our culture, and in the face of hostility find comfort in mixing with others from their own culture who are willing to engage with them and understand their position.

Whether we like it or not, a certain amount of immigration is necessary, and we must be pro-active about how we handle it to achieve the best outcomes for all concerned. Almost 20 years ago I started up the first English language classes in my local town, and also in the factory where many of the recently arrived immigrants were working. Without exception there was an eagerness to learn the language and settle in, despite a large amount of resistance from the local community.

Look at this way, if a child joins a new school there is rightly an obligation on those already at the school, teachers, pupils and other staff, to make an effort to welcome them and ensure that they settle in as quickly as possible.

Why should this be any different within a local community?
Putting it another way, perpetrators of the current divisive atmosphere seem to ignore the significant number of Brits who own homes abroad yet fail to learn the language and still insist on access to a ‘British’ pub, fish and chips and a fry up for breakfast. Pot, kettle and black come to mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment