Monday 29 June 2020

IS INTEGRITY IN POLITICS DEAD?





Whilst I do not always get it right, as a locally elected councillor since 2003, I like to think that one of the reasons I enjoy such strong support is that I always aim to be seen as someone who is objective, unbiased and fair; my continued Chairmanship of a number of committees bears this out.

When holding public office, it is always wise to sound people out, and I conduct opinion surveys regularly. Some years ago, I asked 100 random people, who knew me in a variety of contexts, to describe me in three words. To my surprise, and delight, the word that occurred most frequently was ‘loyal’; my own solicitor also described me as incorruptible, a description that I hold dear.

Those holding public office are required to adhere to the seven Nolan Principles of public life, of which integrity is perhaps the most important; the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles.

Politically we have been through pretty turbulent times recently, and there are many, having witnessed the behaviour of our elected leaders, who would assert that integrity is dead.

On occasion it would be hard to argue against this view. At both national and local level, we observe the constant jockeying for political position almost daily. Handling the impact of the Coronavirus has rightly been at the top of everyone’s agenda, with all sides keen to blame others for any failures, and to take credit for positive achievements. I find this behaviour distasteful, and it certainly puts the integrity of our leaders into doubt.

There are few who would contradict the view that the high level of honesty and truthfulness demanded by integrity is paramount to the success of any organisation. A lack of integrity may achieve short term gains for a few, but in the long term the truth will always surface. Organisational company culture can only be strong if a high level of integrity exists, which must come from the top. Integrity is not about why someone acts in a certain way, but about who they are.

Politically, to serve the electorate well, it is important that politicians have the power to make, carry out and control policy, by influencing others where necessary. There is the risk though that politicians will use this power to serve their own political ends, rather than for the benefit of the wider society. To resist the temptation to behave this way requires integrity, which demands knowledge and compliance with both the letter and the spirit of the law. Integrity also entails acting consistently, not just in the moral sense but also in terms of what is deemed to be ethical, and to be seen as such.

The tenet on which I base my entire life is to do the right thing, in the right place, in the right way, at the right time, for the right reasons, for the right people. Can the same be said of our leaders?

No comments:

Post a Comment