Sunday 9 May 2021

KNOWING WHEN TO QUIT

 


I am always amazed and impressed by tales of people who remain fit and healthy well into their eighties and beyond and who still manage to put in a full day’s work, continuing to contribute in a meaningful way.

When interviewed, many of them cite the fact that continuing to work gives their days a purpose, a reason to get out of bed in the morning.

I confess that there are many days, after a sleepless night, when I wish that I did not have to get out of bed!

Given that we are all living longer, it seems unjust that many perfectly able bodied people are forced to retire.

Despite legislation, we know that age discrimination does still exist in many professions although fortunately, some seem not to be constrained by age limitations. This can have its advantages but can also have its drawbacks. Where there is an insistence on carrying on come what may it can prevent other younger able candidates from entering into the fray and can also diminish a previously distinguished reputation. Is it pride that keeps people going well beyond their sell-by date?

Several examples spring to mind. Many years ago, when living in Chicago, I went to see Frank Sinatra perform. Then well into his seventies and still living the dream, he was quite honestly dreadful. For me, it completely shattered the illusion. More recently, during lockdown, I have been watching an excessive amount ‘junk’ TV, including celebrity panel and quiz shows. On several occasions I have felt forced to switch channels when some of our more mature contestants, who are considered to be national treasures, were clearly not able to perform with any level of competence. I felt embarrassed on their behalf. They must have jolly good agents, but I wonder if this is ultimately to their detriment.

Elsewhere, in the last week or so our local authorities scrambling to have their annual meetings before HM government prevents us from holding official gatherings virtually. As is the norm at these meetings, decisions are made to allocate senior positions of responsibility and Chairmanship of committees. This is usually in the gift of the ruling political party, taking into account political balance where required. I am passionate about fairness and democracy and believe that when taking decisions on behalf of those we represent it must be done without fear or favour, and that appointments should be based on a person’s suitability, based on their skills, knowledge and experience, not with one eye on the political arena. Sadly, this is often far from the case. As might have been expected, some of the recent decisions taken within our local government have not found favour, a view I am inclined to share. The evidence of jobs for the boys (or girls), which often bring a financial gain, is there for all to see. In essence it means that we, who foot the bill, are unwittingly accepting a lower level of competence, and sometimes a lack of commitment, from those who represent us.

I only hope that when the time comes, I know when to hang up my hat and retire gracefully with a modicum of dignity remaining, and that I have those around me who will feel able to tell me so.

No comments:

Post a Comment