Friday 3 December 2021

KNOWING WHEN TO QUIT WHILE YOU ARE AHEAD

 


Instilled with a high level of self-confidence, thanks to my mother, I am not renowned for my humility. Having decided to step down from my involvement in local politics after almost 20 years I have been truly humbled by the enormous number of accolades I have received, both on social media, by email, and from those who have taken the trouble to write me personal messages. 

Whilst I do not regret my actions, my decision has got me thinking about those of us in a position of power and influence who cling on with their finger-tips way past their sell-by date. All too often, in both politics and in business, we are witness to those who refuse to quit because their own egos get in the way of progress and a refusal to acknowledge their own failings. 

If I have learnt anything at all in the past few weeks, it is to quit while you are ahead. If I am to personally benefit from such tributes, and bask in the resulting glow, I am delighted that they have been expressed long before I am six feet under.

No comments:

Post a Comment