Sunday 10 August 2014

The Digital Divide of the Internet Age


There has been much interest in the rollout of superfast broadband across the county. This is being undertaken as a joint venture between Somerset and Devon as part of ‘Connecting Devon & Somerset’ (CDS). Aided by government funding, the remaining cost is being largely funded locally with the establishment of partner organisations.

Despite the frustrations of those not yet connected, we have every reason to be proud of the fact that this is the most ambitious project in Europe. There is no doubt about the benefits of being connected, but I believe this also comes at a cost; that we are in danger of creating a two-tier society.

I am led to believe that one of the first questions asked by businesses thinking of relocating to the area, or those considering a residential move, concerns broadband access. It certainly seems to have an impact on the value of a property.

In my county councillor role I often receive enquiries from local residents, many of whom run businesses from home, who are concerned about the effect that this can have on their ability to meet expectations that are taken for granted elsewhere in the country.

My own concerns are of a more personal nature. Living in Combe St Nicholas, it is not unusual for me to be unable to access the internet at all, which is at the very least irritating. Although I like to think I am fairly competent, I have always been technologically resistant. As we have become used to the expectation of being contactable 24/7, I find I resent the increasing demands that this method of communication imposes upon me, often to the exclusion of all else.

Latest ONS statistics reveal some interesting facts. In the UK by 2013, 21 million households (83%) had internet access, with 36 million adults (73%) accessing it daily. This is almost double what it was in 2006. Many of us are now using the internet to purchase goods or services and I worry about the impact of this upon our local shops; many businesses find it more cost effective to go down the online route. Our high streets are already revealing a shift away from the traditional businesses upon which our communities were built.

I was prompted to mention this by an alert from the Rural Vulnerability Service. The headline news, provided by Centre for Economics and Business Research study, was ‘Households without internet access pay an average of £440 more a year for goods and services’.

This in effect means that 17% of households (5.4 million) are being adversely affected by this drive towards Internet use. The majority of these people are also among the poorest 10%.

The campaign, which I support, is calling on service providers to give customers the choice of receiving bills and statements on paper, without extra charge.

I acknowledge that we must embrace change if we are not to be left behind, but what price for progress where we have created a digital divide.


No comments:

Post a Comment