Tuesday 3 January 2017

FOR THE LOVE OF BOOKS

As an ardent book lover, in recent years I have often despaired on hearing dire warnings of the imminent demise of the printed word. The steady, unceasing march of technological advances has meant that at times it seems as if the entire human race is permanently glued to their iphone or other electronic device.

Over the Christmas period I was much heartened by the news that far from being in decline our desire for the printed word has received something of a revival.

I have tried, I really have. I have heard all the arguments about the portability of such gadgets, and the ability to download practically anything, never mind its intrinsic worth, or lack of it. I have owned a Kindle for over 4 years and in an effort to get with the times, proving that I am no curmudgeon when it comes to embracing technology, I got the all-singing, all-dancing version. With my eyesight not quite what it once was I will readily admit to the usefulness of being able to alter the font size with electronic devices is useful. I find that unless it is a non-fiction reference book I need for research purposes I now select books for my personal reading pleasure by the size of the font and style of typeface!
However, after an initial fit of misplaced enthusiasm, during which I downloaded The Bible, Mein Kampf and other dubious works of literature, just because they were available free, I have yet to use it, and have long since forgotten the password to get the wretched thing started. As someone who likes to travel to out of the way places, a Kindle is not much good if there is not a regular electrical source for charging it up.

For me there is nothing like the feel of a proper book. Reading a book engages most of the senses; sight, touch, hearing the rustle of the pages as they turn, and the musty, foxy smell of something with a history.

Certainly, as a recipient of literary gifts, very often second hand finds, I delight in the quirky books that friends manage to find on my behalf. The latest tranche included a book on railway catering and one on the healing power of Champagne; both right up my street. I like to think that I have a catholic taste when it comes to my choice of reading material, which may be chic lit., travelogues, biographies or the latest award winning best-seller. When on holiday or travelling, I can usually work my way through a book a day, with the bonus that at the end of the week, as I dispose of my paperbacks leaving them for someone else to enjoy, I have extra room in my luggage for souvenirs and the odd bottle of wine.  


Locally, phone boxes in many villages have been turned into mini book exchanges, providing a great source of interesting literature, and all for free. I cannot imagine life without books, which is one of my reasons for being so passionate about Ilminster Literary Festival, now coming up to its second year; the opportunity to meet our favourite authors in the flesh and to find out more about makes them tick is not to be missed. Long may the reprieve for book lovers last.

No comments:

Post a Comment