Sunday 1 January 2017

Lynx2Business


Despite being invited to many events I have never been much of a networker, partly because I just don’t have the time. I do however passionately believe in supporting local businesses and in recent years our failing economy (thankfully now well into recovery stage) has resulted in many talented and skilled people, when faced with redundancy, deciding to strike out on their own.

Locally there are several groups of enterprising young business people who have made real effort to drum up some enthusiasm and are actively reaching out. It was therefore with mixed feelings that I accepted an invitation this week to a business event in Yeovil, held under the umbrella title Lynx2 Business. What an eye opener it was!

Not much impressed by my 5.30am wake up call, despite the offer of a full cooked breakfast at the end of my journey, nevertheless I came away from this early meeting feeling buoyed up and full of pride at the energy and passion shown by the 20 or so attendees. There was a real buzz and much well-meant banter, and whilst people were pro-active they were not pushy in the way that I had seen at other similar events.

Business people, young and old, had travelled from across South Somerset, not to network but to inculcate a culture of mutual benefit by referral, and it certainly seems to be working a treat. Some had been in business just a few short months, others were old hands, having served their time over many years.

As a visitor I was not excused the 60 second slot in which I had to give a short sharp account of what it is I do, which certainly focuses the mind, and at which I admit I failed miserably.

Not really looking for work myself, I came away having discovered an estate agent who really will work 24/7, conducting viewings any time, day or night, to suit his clients’ needs,in addition to providing a free ‘walk through video’ of properties on their books. I now know who to call if I need a highly qualified personal PA (yes please!), am in trouble with employment law, or want high security items printed, locks changed on my doors, or insurance on an empty property. I also learnt the importance of backing up my computer regularly to safeguard precious family photos and have someone to hand who will check my car’s air conditioning or paint, decorate and furnish my home. 

They really have got it all covered, and it is the ethos of referral that will ensure these businesses grow and prosper despite the presence of the ‘big boys’ who continue to seek to dominate our high streets and small industrial estates, keen to undercut them.

If this is the future of our local economy, then we are indeed in good hands. For me this was the perfect example of the old adage ’It is not what you know, but who you know’. Never was it more true than in today’s business world. I shall certainly plan to attend again, even if only to make a concerted attempt to be the proud recipient of the ‘silver sausage’, and in the meantime I plan to mystery shop them all, just to keep them on their toes!

No comments:

Post a Comment