Monday 23 April 2018

Sky Dive for Jemima Layzell Trust - PUSHING THE BOUNDARIES



‘Why on earth would you want to jump out of a perfectly serviceable plane?’, was the question most frequently asked when I decided to do my first ever skydive.

Unlike others, it is not something I have always had an urge to do, or even felt that it would be exciting.
I did it just because it seemed like a good idea at the time, and I had never done it before. As simple as that.

For as long as I can remember I have always wanted to push the boundaries. After all, isn’t that what boundaries are for?

The list is endless; completing a jack-stay transfer between two naval ships in the middle of the Pacific, even though I am afraid of water; landing a high profile chef’s job with no qualifications or experience; walking to Macchu Picchu with no proper equipment; taking on the NHS; abseiling down County Hall; and getting my first ever tattoo at the age of 60 (which subsequently landed me in hot water, a place I am all too familiar with).

Fortunately, I am not afraid of heights. In the case of my skydive, which I decided to do on behalf of a local charity, The Jemima Layzell Trust, I was not afraid of jumping out of the plane. I was petrified of landing and doing myself an injury; I just do not have the time to be out of action. Being able to raise my knees up high enough proved to be the most challenging bit. That, and all of the ‘medical’ questions which to my mind would exclude all but a handful of willing contenders.

So it was that this morning, I arrived bright and early at Old Sarum airfield, near Salisbury, to undergo my induction training, and then to wait, and wait, until the mist had lifted to reveal a beautiful sunny day.

I am not quite as slim as I once was, my waistline having long since succumbed to middle aged spread, but it was still rather galling to be fitted with a ‘large’ jumpsuit, on the grounds that the zip on the medium one first allocated to me broke whilst trying to contain my girth. I was also vexed to discover that my handsome young instructor (a pre-requisite I felt, to ease the pain of the experience), Edward King, actually weighed less than I did. Perhaps time to focus more on the diet?

By the time I approached the plane, having signed my life away, I was a paler shade of my former self, and my internal organs were beginning to re-act in a most disconcerting way. Please God, do not let me have an accident, or throw up on him. His comment, ‘Don’t worry, I have the sick bags.’, did not exactly fill me with confidence.

Once on the plane, along with five other jumpers and their instructors, firmly strapped to my own instructor, I said a quiet prayer, telling myself to remain positive, that of course it was safe, thousands of people had done it before me, and I was in good hands.

Edward was, to put not too fine a point on it, simply amazing; constantly checking on my wellbeing, and keeping me informed every step of the way. I had decided that as I was only planning to do this the once, I would go for broke and jump out at 15,000 feet (about 3 miles up). I have never been one for doing things by half.

I was the last to jump and having shuffled myself forward to the edge of the opening there wasn’t really much option as I was basically tipped out, over the edge and free falling for a full minute at 125 miles per hour. Did I feel an adrenaline rush? No. Was it exhilarating? No. Did I admire the scenery? Not really. I think the overwhelming feeling was one of relief. I really did enjoy free falling, but not so much the sharp jerk as the parachute was deployed and we slowly made our way towards terra firma at a very sedate pace.

As for the landing, I managed to keep my knees up and my legs out of the way, barely noticing we had hit the ground, so smooth was our landing. All over. Done and dusted.

Am I glad I did it? Yes. Do I feel that I have achieved something? Yes. Would I do it again? Absolutely. In fact I have already made arrangements to do it again, for South Somerset MIND this time.

I am hooked. Sometimes it is very fulfilling to do things that take one out of one’s comfort zone. Or, just maybe it has something to do with being strapped to a handsome young man. I couldn’t possible comment.

PS - I did not throw up, and managed to get to the facilities just in time.

My fundraising page is still live and here is my unique URL https://mydonate.bt.com/fundraisers/lindavijehskydive



No comments:

Post a Comment