Monday 4 March 2019

INCLUSIVITY - TOLERANCE IS A TWO-WAY STREET



Having just attended a leadership training session at Warwick University, one of the key items on the agenda was equality and diversity; the extent to which organisations are willing to change and become more inclusive. This applies particularly to local authorities and other public organisations, such as the blue light services. When inspections do take place, this is an area to which a great deal of attention is currently being given, especially with regard to an organisation’s workforce. There is nowadays a lot of pressure to demonstrate the extent to which they can prove an inclusive approach.

When it comes to being ‘included’, in my own life I am fortunate enough to have achieved a number of firsts; mostly as a result of my own bloody-mindedness, just to prove I could do it, rather than any drive towards overcoming prejudice.

I am all for inclusivity, and of my own volition took an Equality and Diversity qualification recently; this was largely because I felt that, in order to effectively carry out many of the roles I hold, I needed to have a better understanding of the key issues involved. Whilst I believe that it is of benefit to us as a society to be more tolerant of others, I am increasingly concerned by this relentless drive, often to the exclusion of all else. We all want to feel accepted by those we associate with, live next door to and work and play with, but it does raise the question, ‘Are we just going through a numbers game, a box ticking exercise to appease the political agenda of others?’

Some of what I hear from others makes me feel rather uneasy.

‘Rather than have an all-male interview panel we included two women and an Asian.’

My challenge to this statement would be ‘Apart from their gender and ethnicity, what made them suitable to be on the panel?’

‘I have been attending Gay Pride rallies for 10 years.’ And…. your point is?

During our discussions some time was spent on considering who should make the coffee, and why it always seemed to be the most junior person present or, God forbid, a woman if one happened to be around. I find such trivia tiresome. Does it really matter who does what as long as people feel valued and are treated with the respect they deserve. It may seem trite, but respect does need to be earned and should not be demanded.

Everyone one has their own agenda and, yes, minority groups must be able to take up their rightful place in our society, but we must also be careful that in heeding their cry for justice we do not disenfranchise those who do not fit the minority criteria.


Strangely enough no-one ever asks me to make the coffee; that is because I am absolutely rubbish at it.

2 comments:

  1. All valid points...personally I think being "pc" has really gone too far! Positive discrimination is also not altogether helpful - and I think somewhat demeaning to those "invited" to do or apply for something simply because of their colour. Surely merit is what matters? I realize that that doesn't always work either...but those who feel a need to discriminate on the basis of colour, gender, sexuality or religious beliefs will find a way to make things go their way whatever "good practices" are in place.
    Oh...and a chef who can't make coffee? Love it! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just today I heard from a young lad who had recently been shortlisted for a job, the final 15 out of 8,000 applicants, who felt certain that he was not offered the job because, when compared to other candidates, he was the only one who could not be described as being from a minority group.

    ReplyDelete