Wednesday 13 March 2019

THE IMPORTANCE OF INTEGRITY IN POLITICS


A recent cartoon I came across depicted a pig farmer filling the troughs. One pig says to the other, ‘Do you ever wonder why the farmer is so good to us?’ To those of us who enjoy a rasher or two the answer is obvious.

Not quite so simple when it comes to politics though. I believe that for anyone in a position of responsibility and authority ‘What is my motivation?’ is the question we must ask ourselves constantly. No matter what our thoughts, words and deeds, we must be able to satisfy those who stand in judgment, in this case the electorate, and to whom we are ultimately accountable.

As local election time fast approaches, I am planning to stand again (for the fifth time) and although a Conservative by conviction I confess that I have not always selected the Conservative candidate when casting my vote. To my mind, what is much more important, overriding the whole political shenanigans, is the integrity of the person in question.

No matter which political party they represent, I want to be confident that the person representing me will always try to do the right thing; even if sometimes I may not agree with them. 

As holders of public office, we are all required to abide by the 7 Nolan Principles of public life.  For me, the most important of these is Integrity, being honest and having strong moral principles, seeking the good of others.

If we can go about our daily business being open and transparent, treating everyone equally and without fear or favour, then that is something worth fighting for, and which should be rewarded with our trust and confidence.

The most complimentary comment ever said about me was from my former solicitor, ‘Linda, you are incorruptible.’

Whilst those who have their own agenda may succeed momentarily because of what they know or do, those who succeed permanently do so because of what they are.

Living in a democracy, the most important thing we can all do this May is to exercise our right to vote; even if it means spoiling the ballot paper because you feel that none of the candidates will best represent you.

No comments:

Post a Comment