Tuesday 7 May 2019

South Somerset District Council Election Results





Well, it is all done and dusted and whilst on a personal level I was thrilled to be re-elected for a fifth term of office, and especially to have increased my share of the vote in my ward, and a pretty good turnout, all things considered, of 46%.

This was a difficult election for many reasons, not least the ongoing situation at central government level, which clearly has had an impact on the result.

I know that I could not have succeeded without the help of local residents, many of whom were willing to put aside their own political views to support me, for which I am profoundly grateful. I am also aware though of those who either chose not to vote at all, in addition to those who felt that one of the other candidates would serve them and their community better. In the coming weeks and months I will do my best to identify the reasons for such disquiet and do whatever I can to alleviate their concerns. I am very aware of the fact that it is my role to represent the whole community, and although I know that I do not always get it right, it is not for want of trying.

For my sins, I have also now been elected as the leader of our much diminished Conservative party in South Somerset. Something of a poisoned chalice some might say, but, when you are down there is only one way to go, and that is up! I am very much looking forward to working together with my newly elected fellow members, to ensure that we best serve the whole community.

Cllr. Linda Vijeh, Neroche Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment