Monday 13 May 2019

WINE IN LITERATURE


The forthcoming Ilminster Literary Festival (now in its 4th year) gives me pause for thought in relation to how, over the centuries, an army of talented novelists, poets and playwrights, in putting pen to paper, have chosen wine as the subject in which to wax lyrical.

In many ways this is hardly surprising. Wine is the ceremonial liquid of choice, playing a significant part in the Christian eucharist, and we all know the story of Jesus turning water into wine.

Drinking songs abound, and Shakespeare’s references to drink are abundant -  
“I drink to the general joy of the whole table” - Macbeth Act 3, Scene 4
“Good company, good wine, good welcome can make good people” - Henry VIII, Act 1 Scene 4

When proposing a toast, we clink glasses as we take a drink and are bound together, for a fleeting moment, in one single act where everyone plays their part in the stories told; births, deaths, marriages, anniversaries, victories, defeats, graduations, coronations, in honour of someone, in expressing goodwill or celebration of an event.

Here are some snippets from my favourite authors to stimulate your thirst, both for the written word, and a glass of wine!

A Drinking Song, W.B. Yeats
Wine comes in at the mouth
And love comes in at the eye;
That’s all we know for truth
Before we grow old and die.
I lift the glass to my mouth,
I look at you, and sigh.

A Moveable Feast, Ernest Hemingway
Well known for his love affair with alcohol, this set of memoirs paints a vivid picture of Hemingway's time as a struggling young writer as part of the American expatriate circle of writers in the 1920s.

Drinking Alone Beneath The Moon, Li Po
In this Chinese poem, written around 743AD, the poet finds himself alone …   
‘Among the blossoms, a single jar of wine.
No one else here, I ladle it out myself.
Raising my cup, I toast the bright moon,
and facing my shadow makes friends three,   
though moon has never understood wine,
and shadow only trails along behind me.’

I Bring An Unaccustomed Wine, Emily Dickinson
This poem begins…
I bring an unaccustomed wine     
To lips long parching, next to mine,         
And summon them to drink.

Ode to Wine, Pablo Neruda
Such a sensual poem ………..
‘A jug of wine, and thou beside me
in the wilderness,
sang the ancient poet.
Let the wine pitcher
add to the kiss of love its own.
My darling, suddenly
the line of your hip
becomes the brimming curve
of the wine goblet,
your breast is the grape cluster,
your nipples are the grapes,
the gleam of spirits lights your hair,
and your navel is a chaste seal
stamped on the vessel of your belly,
your love an inexhaustible
cascade of wine,
light that illuminates my senses,
the earthly splendour of life.

The Soul of Wine, Charles Baudelaire
One eve in the bottle sang the soul of wine:
'Man, unto thee, dear disinherited,
I sing a song of love and light divine-
Prisoned in glass beneath my seals of red.
……..
My nectar falls in your fertility,
A precious seed whose Sower is divine,
So from our love is born rare poetry,
Thrusting towards God the blossom on its vine!'






No comments:

Post a Comment