Wednesday 21 June 2017

The Trouble with Training


I have always been a passionate supporter of training in all its forms and as an adult take responsibility for my own development very seriously. I frequently signing up for courses at my own expense in my own time if I feel that as a result I can learn something useful. When it comes to learning It is right that those holding positions of responsibility receive the education and training that they need in order to perform effectively.

I can fully appreciate that money for many organisations, particularly local authorities, has been tight in recent years, but there are now very few opportunities for any of us to access any additional external training that is offered.

This has largely resulted in the majority of training sessions being carried out in-house. Those conducting the training sessions may be very knowledgeable when it comes to their subject matter, but often lack the necessary skills when it comes to getting the message across in a meaningful way.     

The problem is that we are in danger of spending time, effort and valuable resources on training all and sundry, regardless of their existing skills and knowledge. It is often merely a tick box system put in place to satisfy the bureaucrats who cast their beady eyes over performance standards which, in itself is often a further exercise in tick boxing.

To be honest I am becoming fed up with it. In recent weeks I have attended a number of training sessions only to find that I am being subjected to death by PowerPoint on topics that I have a high level of knowledge of, and in some cases teach myself; being a qualified teacher and trainer.

This results in me feeling short changed and as if I am not making the best use of my time. At times I have felt patronised, and it has not escaped my notice that in the vast majority of cases there appears to be no evaluation of the effectiveness of the training undertaken. Any good trainer will tell you that in exchange for time, effort and money, there has be a recognisable, tangible, outcome in terms of performance. If this were not the case I would soon be turfed out of the day job. This is particularly relevant where core services are under threat.

Yes, there is much to be gained by undergoing training, even it is a topic we are familiar with, but it achieves little when it is being undertaken for training’s sake. It is not the training that matters, it is what you do with what you have learned that counts.   

My heart sinks when a training session opens with the words, 'We have got to do something about this because the government say we have to.'

No comments:

Post a Comment