Monday 24 July 2017

CONTROLLING INFORMATION LEAKS



As Parliament stands for its summer recess news headlines have focused on Cabinet divisions and the subsequent leaks.

Such leaks have long been the thorn in the side of both local and national governments worldwide, but we should remember that businesses, particularly large corporations, suffer in much the same way.

What leaders need to consider, in attempting to stifle opposing views and supress potentially damaging information, is why it is felt right to leak what is intended to be confidential information.
In the majority of cases, far from being seen to be in the public interest, it is for political or personal gain.

Nervousness generated by the increased focus on data protection, and the introduction of new legislation next year, means that increasingly matters are kept confidential which should be in the public domain.

Those who participate in public life and hold positions of responsibility are expected to adhere to the Nolan principles, which includes openness. Information involving decisions and actions taken should only be restricted when the wider public interest demands it. I believe it is this lack of openness that is at the heart of many leaks. When we feel we are not kept in the picture, we gain the impression that something underhand is afoot.

What we should all be aware of, is the extent to which, in order to stifle open debate, leaders will often resort to effectively paying for votes, by enlisting the support of their allies, creating roles that will ensure their support. I distinctly recall noting the comments of one leader, who in an unguarded moment said, ‘the job I created for him.’

For me it sums up all that is rotten in the echelons of our society. As long as this situation exists the leaking of information will continue.

Where unpopular decisions need to be taken most reasonable people will accept the outcome if they feel fully informed, able to play a part in the decision, and understand the reasons behind it.

Effective and inclusive communication is the key to this. Sadly, behind closed doors too much discussion is focused on point scoring against opponents, instead of concentrating on the core purpose. We should all aim to do the right thing, in the right way, at the right time, for the right reasons. This is a personal mantra I repeat to myself several times a day when required to make decisions or take action on behalf of those I represent. It is after all the tax payers’ money that pays our wages. As a result, I often find myself in hot water, but as least I go to bed at night with a clear conscience.

The fact that I have a reputation for openness is one I am proud of but if I do want to keep anything confidential, I tell no-one anything. I can at least rely on keeping my own trap very firmly shut.

No comments:

Post a Comment