Monday 21 May 2018

Fixed-Odds Betting Terminals


It was 10 years ago that, not having heard from my brother for several days, I travelled up to London to find that he had committed suicide; the second member of my family to do so, as my mother had also taken her own life in 1976.

My brother had been plagued by depression for many years, and was also an alcoholic, so whilst it was distressing, there was a sense of inevitability about what happened. I was very close to my brother but what I was not aware of, until as his next of kin it was left to me to sort out his affairs and arrange the funeral, was his gambling addiction. I knew that he liked the odd flutter but had no idea that he had run up something in the region of £60k of gambling debts, mostly through online activity, and largely through credit arrangements with bookmakers.

Earlier this year I was prompted to start to campaign against the advertising of online gambling sites, via a petition set up through the organisation 38 Degrees. My reason for doing this was that over a period of time I had noticed that these sites were often advertised on TV at a time when vulnerable people would be watching, and were endorsed by celebrities, which appalled me.

The announcement this week by the government that they were going to restrict the amount that people could gamble on fixed term betting sites by lowering the limit from £100 to just £2 is to be welcomed. However, I was disappointed to see that when the Secretary of State, Matt Hancock, was interviewed it became clear that there is no plan, or timescale in place, for this to be actioned. Much has been made of the process of adjusting these terminals to the new lower amount, but I believe this a a red herring. 

What has also not been considered it that whilst gambling, just like other addictions, such as drug and alcohol abuse, is a problem in itself, this destructive behaviour is often a manifestation of other, deeper, underlying issues. frequently linked to mental health. 

Organisations such as Samaritans and South Somerset MIND take calls on a daily basis from those who have been affected in such a way, from those who suffer from addiction, and also their loved ones, for whom it can be equally painful with severe and far reaching repercussions. 

It is this that we need to address most of all. Yes, these new measures, when they are finally put into place, will help, but as with other forms of addiction the addicted gambler will just go elsewhere for their fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment