Wednesday 20 October 2021

LOCAL BOOZER RAISES £470 FOR MIND IN SOMERSET

 

Choughs MIND fundraiser

In addition to being a local councillor, I am fortunate in being able to become involved in a number of local organisations, mainly charities, and often with a focus on mental health. 

In addition to being a volunteer and fundraiser for Samaritans, this last year I also became a listening volunteer for MIND in Somerset.  

I have always been a keen pub goer, and it was whilst attending a fundraising event for Chard Museum at The Choughs on Chard’s High Street, that I came across Steve Morgan. Since his arrival in the area almost two years ago and taking over at the helm of the pub, Steve has applied the discipline of his army experience to turning around the pub’s fortunes. At a time, when due to the pandemic, many hospitality businesses suffered terribly Steve now has a regular customer base, and knows the names of all of them, who describe him as a ‘top man’. 

‘I wanted to make the pub a place where women feel safe to come in on their own,’ said Steve, and speaking from experience, added, ‘In the last year I have become very aware of the increase in mental health problems suffered by young men in particular and I wanted to do something to help raise the profile of this, and the local organisations that support people with mental health issues.’ 

With the help of local Tesco manager, Raechel Shepherd, who is herself a force to be reckoned with, and popular local band Sea Trees, the event was a roaring success, and I was delighted to have been invited to witness the generosity and exuberant enjoyment of our local pub goers. 

The Choughs really is just a boozer (until Steve starts doing his famous Sunday lunches again), and not my normal spot for liquid refreshment, but mindful of the proverb, ‘different strokes for different folks’, I intend to become a regular. With local people demonstrating this level of passion for others I see a brighter future for us all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment