Monday 8 May 2017

Local elections

Elections can bring out the best and the worst in people. The low turnout in the local elections this week, by comparison with the Brexit vote, was disappointing, but unsurprising.
In my own division, Ilminster, it was a respectable 40%, but this does mean that over half of the local electorate felt sufficiently disinterested in the outcome to not bother to exercise their democratic right to play a part in selecting their representative. I believe that this is foolish in the extreme.

At county level, and particularly when we continue to see cuts in funding in almost every area of service provision, it is vital that we speak up.

In my experience, it is those that speak loudest who are most likely to be heard. It is just such a pity that it is so necessary.

In Somerset, in recent years we have seen significant reduction in education funding, health and social care and highways; it is now much more difficult for the ordinary citizen to make contact with those in office who make the decisions that affect their lives. If your circumstances don’t allow you to ‘tick the box’ on a list of pre-determined questions, then you will miss out. What we must never forget is that it is out tax payers’ money which pays for the services we expect to benefit from, and when times are hard influencing the decisions needing to be made when allocating available funds becomes even more important.    

I was blessed with a respectable increase in my majority, going from just 11 votes in 2013, to almost 800 this time around, and gaining 53% of the overall vote. I benefited greatly from a ‘personal’ vote from those who were willing to put aside their natural political leaning because they felt that of those offering to represent them I was their preferred candidate. This was a humbling experience, but one that I am familiar with. In the seven local elections I have fought, I have never knocked on a door, ‘campaigned’, or publicly criticised other candidates, much to the concern of my party. I refuse to do so, because, as has been evidenced by some of the results this time around, I believe that negative campaigning and the constant pushing of what amounts to propaganda is counter-productive, and door-knocking is intrusive and not the best use of my time.

With my marketing hat on I know that what people want to hear about is what I have done for them and what I am planning to do to support them and their communities in the future. This can only be done by ensuring proper engagement, each and every day, all year round, not just at election time. To achieve this I am constantly juggling the day job to fit in what I believe to be the commitment I have subscribed to, often working very long hours, with have ‘no life’ as they say; this is my choice though, no one made me do this.  

I am unashamedly Conservative in my politics, but this does not always mean that I will tow the party line, much to the frustration of my leaders. I do what I think is best for those who have placed their trust in me and am not afraid to criticise a decision I believe to be wrong.   
Now I have said my piece, I had better get on with the job I have been elected to do. At present the sale of County farms is at the top of my agenda.


No comments:

Post a Comment