Thursday 16 February 2017

Death of shoplifter

On hearing about the unfortunate incident recently, in which a homeless shoplifter, caught stealing two bottles of wine, died as a result of injuries he suffered when tackled by a security guard, my first thoughts were, like many I suspect, was that if he was homeless then why wasn’t he stealing food?
The more I thought about this, the more it was brought home to me that I was in danger of being judgmental. Not a good trait when you are a Samaritan.

On considering the issue further, I was mindful of the attitude that many members of the public have towards the homeless we see begging daily on our streets. The self-righteous, of which there are many, walk on by with their heads averted, their contempt all too evident. Others may well throw the odd pound or two from their well stuffed wallets at them, as they go about their business of succumbing to the temptation of cruising the shops to buy things they do not need.

Having been homeless myself, both as a child and an adult, albeit briefly, I hope that I am able to show compassion to those who find themselves without a roof over their heads.
The reasons for their predicament can be many and various, not readily understood by those of us who consider ourselves to live ‘normal’ lives. Clearly in the case of these disaffected people something has gone seriously wrong in their lives. More often than not there will be mental health issues, caused by abuse in a surprising number of cases, along with drug and alcohol problems. All of this makes them difficult, disruptive and unpredictable people to live with.

In searching for a solution, what the homeless need first of all is for someone to understand their situation and to be able to offer practical help. Professional help is sadly lacking, especially as funding cuts continue to have a relentless impact on service provision for this forgotten sector of society who have no voice. Over the years I have learnt that it is those who scream longest and loudest that get what they want.

In the meantime, I make a concerted effort to at least acknowledge those I see on the streets, and if possible try to engage them in conversation as fellow human beings. Rather than give them money I often offer to buy them a meal, something that they choose. The absence of choice is one of the most demoralising aspects of their situation. On the occasions I do hand over money, I have to ask myself, who am I to choose what they decide to spend it on? We only have to witness people bundled up in doorways to know that their circumstances are far from ideal. Rightly or wrongly, drinking alcohol or taking drugs may be their coping mechanism for getting through each miserable day.

Getting back to my original point, the incident that occurred in Trowbridge, aside from the sad death of the man in question, will no doubt have a devastating effect on the life of the security guard and his family. A real case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Most of us can recall specific moments in our lives when split second decisions have life changing consequences. A salutary lesson to us all.   

No comments:

Post a Comment