Monday 23 March 2020

WORDS TO EASE ISOLATION



Now that those of us in an at-risk category are likely to be housebound for the foreseeable future (for which in many ways I am very grateful, until boredom sets in at least) I have begun to attempt to put my life in order. Without the demands of attending a constant round of meetings I have had time to sort out the knicker drawer, tidy up kitchen cupboards, and cook a few meals for housebound friends, but what to do with the rest of my waking hours? Well, I am currently studying for a new qualification, and having never been much of a TV fan, apart from a daily dose of quiz programmes and Countdown, my preference leans towards the written word. Although there is the odd novel that captures my attention, I tend to be drawn towards books where I can learn something new. Given my obsession with food and wine, it is hardly surprising to reveal that I have a collection of over 2,500 volumes on the subject, taking up a whopping 200 feet of shelf space. 
However, that does not stop me acquiring more. I very rarely buy new books, and in an effort to support charities during what is a difficult time, I was thrilled with my latest hoard, purchased from Oxfam for just £1 each. Here are my top recommendations to keep you amused and entertained, and to keep the brain cells in good working order.


The Wine Quiz Book (Roddy Button & Mike Oliver) – this is a must have book for anyone wanting to improve their wine knowledge.

Your Wine Questions Answered (Jerry Lockspeiser) – perfect for anyone wanting to know more, answering the 25 things wine drinkers most want to know; really important stuff, such as ‘Which wines have the fewest calories’.

Question Time (Mark Mason) – billed as ‘A journey round Britain’s quizzes’, the notion of reading about someone attending lots of quizzes might not be everyone’s cup of tea but I loved this, could not put it down and learnt lots of quirky facts!   

Lonely Planet’s Ultimate Travel Quiz Book – a great source of questions, both easy and tough, making it ideal for a family trivia game as we have all been forced to become armchair travellers for the time being.

The Fine Art of Food (Reay Tannahill) – is a classic, and a real find for art lovers;  
full of illustrations showing how artists across the centuries have looked at food in the context of their own times. Hogarth’s ‘Gin Lane’ is one of my favourites.

Captain Bucko’s Galley Slave Cookbook (Roger Paul Huff) – answering the question ‘Why is a vessel’s kitchen called a galley?’, this is a collection of fascinating facts, sea stories and 100 recipes from ports of call around the world.

Frank Cooper’s (of marmalade fame) The Great British Breakfast (Jan Read & Maite Manjon) – traces the history of breakfasting from medieval times, giving a vivid account of society and manners through the centuries.

How to Eat Out (Giles Coren) – this former restaurant critic of The Times for 10 years shares his wealth of experience in eating everything from take away pizza to dining in the ‘best restaurant in the world’.

Eating for England (Nigel Slater) – a charming, nostalgic journey of British food, both past and present, with vignettes on our favourite foods from all corners of the country.  

You Aren’t What You Eat (Steven Poole) – a book for those fed up with gastro-culture, providing the perfect antidote to Food Raves and fashion on a fork.

Chateau Monty (Monty Waldin) – I am often wary of these vanity books but this was a good read, highlighting the pitfalls of making biodynamic wine, although it would seem that since moving on from the French PyrenĂ©es to Tuscany his wines are nowhere to be found.

What Einstein Told His Cook (Robert K. Wolke) – for those who want to understand what the food they eat does to them; kitchen science explained, providing answers to such questions as ‘Why does lasagne dissolve metal?’.

Who Put the Beef in Wellington? (James Winter) – I have always been interested in how many of the dishes we enjoy got their names. This considers 50 culinary classics, who invented them, when and why.    


No comments:

Post a Comment