Thursday 3 December 2020

DRINKS TO LIFT CHRISTMAS SPIRITS

 



Notwithstanding the restrictions imposed by Covid-19 this year, and despite my innate lack of ability when it comes to crooning, Christmas is my favourite time of year, apart from my birthday of course. This year I turn 66 and will be in receipt of my long-awaited pension; despite lockdown I am determined to have a fabulous time eating and drinking all of my favourite non-pc things. I digress, however. Back to the subject in hand. 

Christmas is usually the time when I get the opportunity to attend numerous carol services, nativity plays and Christmas tree decorating parties. Then I can sing my little heart out, wear a silly Santa hat and not worry whether or not I am entirely in tune. Of course, this year much of the activity will be virtual, with the advantage of being able to mute myself as I sing out of tune. 

The cakes and pudding were made in May, during the first lockdown, and have yet to receive their final dowsing in brandy. I have just finished making the mince pies. (homemade are always best) and I am looking forward to the warmth of a glass, or two, of mulled wine. 

I have always enjoyed the warming combination of alcohol and the heady aroma of cinnamon, cloves and ginger that provides the cosy good-feel factor, heralding a few days watching junk TV and enjoying time for reflection as we head towards the end of another year. Without doubt, the challenges of this past year have had a significant impact on those unable to spend time with family and loved ones. Thank goodness for Zoom.  

Of course, in marketing terms many companies want to take advantage of our feelings of bonhomie. So, when a bottle of sherry labelled ‘The Winter’s Tale’ caught my eye it brought to my mind my favourite Christmas songs and I began to explore other beverages with a similar connection. 

With few exceptions, these are widely available, either online or from the supermarket. In addition to tiding you over the holidays, keeping a bottle or two in the house will ensure that should you be in a position to host visitors, you will have last minute gifts ready to hand, making you the perfect host.    

https://digital.magmanager.co.uk/Preview/Index/2467871#page/12


No comments:

Post a Comment