Friday 3 January 2014

Heston's Healthy NHS Food - nonsense

It is no wonder that with the constant desire for us all to live longer that we are now in the situation where our ageing population, kept alive at any cost it would seem, are not responding to the vile pap served up in most hospitals, on plastic trays, as if they were transient passengers on an airline. Personally, although not quite ready to meet my maker, I'd much rather die while I'm still capable of knowing what day of the week it is, with a glass of bubbly in hand, and my favourite calorific snack as my last meal. Heston of course likes to get his hand into anything but, like Jamie before him, we must be careful that this is not just another headline grabbing stunt. I see that he is advocating the use of food enhancing flavours, known as 'umami', the fifth basic taste, by the addition of such popular flavourings as soy sauce, worcester sauce and ketchup. This would have been fine to my mind, were it not for the attention grabbing headline, that this would mean less salt is added. Both he, and those singing the virtues of this latest idea, seem to be missing the point entirely, as all of these extra ingredients are packed full of salt. We are all, in the end, going to die of something, but I for one would at least  like to have enjoyed my last meal. After all, prisoners on death row get to do so.     

No comments:

Post a Comment