Tuesday 21 January 2014

Rennard - Cunning Like a Fox?


As the Liberal Democrats tear themselves apart in the wake of the Lord Rennard saga, and await the outcome of his suspension from the party, this is a story that has yet to reach its conclusion.

I couldn’t help but observe that for all but an additional ‘n’ in his surname he could be Renard, French for a male fox, described as being sly and cunning.

However, I would not want to cast aspersions as to his sound character, as to date he has not been found guilty of the charges of inappropriate behaviour lodged by his former female colleagues.  

I for one feel that he has no need to apologise, if indeed he is innocent. In demanding such an apology, what is it exactly that his party are asking him apologise for? For having upset them sufficiently to have felt that they needed to make a complaint?

There are those that I work with, due to my bawdy sense of humour, who have said on occasion ‘If she were a man she’d be had up for sexual harassment.’ Fortunately that has not happened, but I am increasingly mindful of the impact my behaviour has on others, whether offence were intended or not.  

In my younger days I well recall being chased around the kitchen table by an elderly titled gentleman for whom I was the housekeeper at the time. I left not long afterwards, but not before he had let down the tyres on my car in revenge. However, it did not occur to me to report it, in part because I was in private employment, and whilst his advances repulsed me,  I admit to having a rather nonchalant approach towards unwanted sexual attention.

Far from being a shy retiring type, if I were ever to be on the receiving end of such an infringement of my personal liberty again I would be likely to return the assault, only much harder, or more likely say something along the lines of ‘Keep your hands off, you can’t afford me.’, thereafter ensuring I did not put myself in a position for it to be repeated.

In the case of these particular women, not being fully familiar with the exact nature of the advances or propositions, I feel that a swift upper cut would have done the job nicely, with a resulting black eye to prove it; in self-defence of course. That would not be something to sweep under the carpet in smug denial.

However, the real point is that in his position as the Chairman of the party he would have been able to yield significant power, and those lodging complaints would surely have been in fear of losing their jobs; which is unacceptable in any civilised society.

Sadly, this kind of situation is not uncommon, even if it does not normally dominate the national news. On a daily basis there are many who are harassed, or bullied, particularly in a work environment, with the perpetrator going about their dubious business in the full knowledge of the protection that their position of power affords them. Until we all take a firm stance it will continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment