Sunday 26 January 2014

Taking the Flak


I was reminded on several occasions this week, that when involved in local politics, you need broad shoulders.

The words of poet John Lydgate come to mind.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.

I believe you shouldn’t even try.

I am often in receipt of confidential information and asked to take action, and it is my ability to retain that confidentiality that has attained the level of trust I have hitherto enjoyed; building up a reputation for fairness, and taking into account all of the facts before making up my mind in any situation. This can be uncomfortable for those who rely heavily on being seen to have someone ‘on their side’. I may well be, but I will not be bullied into saying so, until the appropriate time.

People will make up their own minds, interpreting a situation to suit their own agendas. This is only human nature.

I have recently become familiar with a raft of adjectives not usually used to describe me, and have been asked to make assurances about things not within my control.

The public are a fickle bunch, with short memories much of the time, and very long ones if they feel let down; moving swiftly from applauding you one minute, then vilifying you the next, largely dependent on whether or not they think you are doing what they want, at that time. I use the word think intentionally.

Expectations are high when it is increasingly difficult to deliver the goods, but one must strive to do the right thing, no matter what the circumstances.

Having one’s judgement and motivation questioned is not a pleasant experience, but one should not allow ill-informed comments to colour one’s own moral values.   

In being part of the process where decisions made have an impact on the lives of those one represents is not something to be taken lightly, or to be used for one’s own gain. I benefit greatly in not actually living in the areas that I act for, enabling me to take a completely unbiased view, remaining entirely objective. 

None of us is perfect but much of life comes down to the ability to clearly communicate one’s thoughts, words and actions. My style and results bear this out, but not everyone appreciates this. My aim is always to find out what people want, then to help them achieve their goal, however unrealistic it may be.

We are increasingly fettered by central government decisions and policies; taking the flack locally for doing our best in a bad situation. I can think of several recent examples, the provision of free school meals for reception classes and years 1 and 2 from this September, and also the current debate over free TV licences for over 75s.

These may be vote catchers, but there is often little extra funding attached to such initiatives, and if there is, it is often only for a limited period of time. 

There is also great frustration over the unacceptable flood situation in Somerset, where this week a major incident was declared; forgive the idiom, but we’ve been hung out to dry.

I shall continue to try to meet expectations, and if others feel I’ve got it wrong, then I shall just have to take it on the chin.




No comments:

Post a Comment