Monday 19 December 2016

COMPASSION FOR THE HOMELESS AT CHRISTMAS

No Room at the Inn

Going into The Minster, Ilminster, this week to visit the Christmas Tree Festival, I passed by the static display with the sign ‘No Room’. It was clearly intended to highlight the plight of those refugees that have dominated the news this year and also those closer to home without a roof over their heads, at this particularly vulnerable time. There are no easy solutions, but as both a Samaritan and having been homeless myself, albeit temporarily, on two occasions, once during my childhood, and again as an adult, I have some small understanding of what it feels like.

Life is certainly much more complicated now. The reasons someone finds themselves homeless can be many and varied. For those fortunate enough to have enjoyed a stable, happy, life it can be difficult to understand what has caused the situation. That is if we want to take the time out of our busy lives to gain that understanding. Passing by scruffy unkempt individuals huddled in shop doorways, with a Heinz variety mutt in tow, glazed eyes, indicating possible drug use, and a roll-up clamped firmly to their mouths, can make it hard for ‘normal respectable people’ to show much sympathy.

Increasingly, drug and alcohol abuse, along with mental health issues. are a significant factor. All can contribute towards behaviour that those at home, and at work, find unacceptable. Violent outbursts, destructive behaviour, stealing to fund a habit, self-harming; the list is endless. Such behaviour, which can be damaging to others, especially children, must never be tolerated, but what worries me is our failure to look beyond the outward symptoms to get to the root cause of the problem.

We all make decisions in our lives, some of which can have devastating consequences. In my adult life, I have on three occasions provided homeless accommodation, twice for individuals and once for a family, on Christmas Eve, with no deposit, no references. Whilst extending the hand of friendship has not always been without problems, I have rarely had my trust misused.   

In my own case, the first time around, my mum, a single parent with three young children, having left my violent father, took us to live with my grandparents. Then the bailiffs turned up and literally turned us out onto the street because my feckless grandfather had spent the rent money. My mum and siblings went to a homeless shelter, before going to stay with a distant relative. I, at age 10, and being the eldest, was farmed out to mum’s work colleague for the time it took my mum to sort us out. We ended up living in one room in a shared house, where we had to avoid stepping on the used needles strewn on the ground outside.
Later in life, on leaving my husband, despite being halfway way around the world, with no job, no home, and no money, I was fortunate that a friend offered me use of her house whilst she was working away.


In the absence of much close family I cherish other relationships. I have been blessed with a strong network of friends who have helped to pull me through difficult times. They are my lifeline. Sometimes a lifeline is all it needs to keep someone hanging in there while all around them their lives are unravelling. Which is why organisations like Samaritans are so important. And why, especially at Christmas time, we need to show some compassion. Those selling The Big Issue ARE trying to help themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment