Friday 16 September 2016

Basking in the success of others


As much as it generates the ‘feel good’ factor to be successful in one’s own endeavours, I find that I get nearly as much pleasure in being invited to share in the success of others.

In that respect this past month has certainly been one of achievement. One of my many godchildren has at last graduated from university, which was not something easily achieved due to her dyslexia, and has also landed a great job with a great company. In addition to this a young lad I supported through college, on the verge of expulsion on more than one occasion, has also been successful in getting into paid employment. Not to be outdone, my niece, who had a difficult upbringing, got head-hunted for her dream job. Cheers all round.

I confess to feeling inordinately proud of them all. It is the younger generation after all, that whilst gainfully employed, will shore up our country’s coffers to see me into old age.

At the time of writing I am biding my time at Heathrow, waiting for a flight to India, on my way to witness first-hand the results of a jointly funded project in Gujarat to provide educational opportunities for women. Initiated by my Ilminster Rotary colleague, John Wood and his wife Beverley, I basked in the reflected glory of the achievement, which took place during my tenure as President. I have long been a champion of education in all of its forms
And will be thrilled to meet all 116 of them prior to them taking their exams. I know from personal accounts that many have suffered personal and emotional abuse; all because they wanted to learn and improve their life chances.

Closer to home, last week I attended Wadham School’s Awards Evening, which is always an uplifting experience. What became apparent during the presentations is that although we must not forget that educational attainment is to be applauded, there is much, much more to being educated than gaining high marks in exams. This was borne out by Bethany Lacey’s achievement in being ranked the No.1 tennis player in Somerset and others who in their chosen field had done particularly well. Good schools, no matter what their status, will always aim to provide a real community atmosphere in which achievement and good behaviour flourish.

It was with this in mind that I was especially pleased to join our current President, Harley Pope, to hand over our brand new ‘Service Above Self’ award to two worthy young ladies, Madeline Bennett and Molly Daniel, primarily for their work in supporting refugees. I was particularly keen that we took forward this initiative, based on the Rotary International motto, and with a globe as the trophy, signifying the wider world. Through my work in supporting vulnerable youngsters, as Childrens’ Champion for Somerset, I am all too aware of the influences that can make or break their fragile lives. When surrounded by negativity, and less than ideal personal circumstances, sometimes it can just be a small word of encouragement that will turn a young person’s life around and give them the hope they need to move forward and follow their dreams.

Praise someone today, and see their face light up

No comments:

Post a Comment