Thursday 2 March 2017

A GOOD READ


I have always been an avid reader, and cannot get to sleep without a good book in hand. Nowadays though, with more than four hours sleep a night remaining as elusive as ever, I tend to be very selective about my pre-bedtime reading material; nothing too frightening, exciting, or upsetting, as I find myself re-living the events through my dreams. I like to think that I have a Catholic taste in the books I choose. Apart from declining anything with a font size that would require a magnifying glass to make sense of the text, or that is so heavy I can barely lift it, I am always happy to pick up something from my village ‘phone box’ library or root around at book sales for anything from chic lit. to travelogues and of course food and wine books, as well as a classic good story. I would love to be able to join a book club but just don’t have the time and consider that the regular swops I carry out with friends is sufficient recommendation to introduce me to a new author.   

For me there is nothing like the feel of a good book and I count my blessings that a love of reading has enriched my life in so many ways.

With the advent of Kindles it was expected that book sales would decline but the reverse seems to have happened. I have owned a Kindle for four years and apart from downloading ‘freebies’ I have yet to use it. I have heard all the arguments about the convenience of this lightweight high-tech option, particularly when travelling, but I much prefer to take a stack of paperbacks with me to leave behind for someone else to enjoy, allowing more space in my luggage for those must have souvenirs.

I do believe that the enjoyment of reading needs to be nurtured from an early age and it is right that our schools should focus on this aspect of learning. In addition to library led reading challenges, there are a number of local initiatives being introduced to encourage the development of this key skill; and the Rotary Club of Ilminster regularly provides volunteers to listen to pupils reading.

Last year saw the first ever Ilminster Literary Festival and, in the wake of its success, plans are well under way for an even bigger and better event this year being held from the 31st May to 8th June, in the run up to another popular feature of the Ilminster calendar, Ilminster Experience. In order to ensure that ILF is a real community affair, with something for everyone, 19 different local venues are being used across the town for over 30 wonderful, inspiring events, including book signings, lectures, poetry readings, creative writing workshops and competitions. From Dylan Thomas to Shakespeare, along with gardening, history and espionage, and everything in between, there will be tea parties, lunches and dinners galore with much sought after celebrities such as Terry Waite and Paddy Ashdown all making an appearance to enlighten and entertain us.

I am keen to learn more about cider at Perry’s Cider Mill, and although I do not have any children of my own I shall always treasure the signed, illustrated copy of Peter Horacek’s Blue Penguin that I purchased last year.

For my contribution, I am really looking forward to running the literary quiz (nothing too high brow!) at Donyatt Village Hall on Wednesday 7th June at 7.30pm. See you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment