Wednesday 15 March 2017

Service does Matter


I am not a regular supermarket shopper, much preferring to support my local shops. On occasion though, especially when working late or away from home, there is little option but for me to spend my hard earned money with the big boys.

Being passionate about customer service I was conscious of several contrasting experiences this week. 

In my local Co-op in Ilminster, having bought several bottles of Fairtrade wine, the sales assistant readily offered to help me carry my purchases to the car.

Later in the day at Waitrose in Salisbury, buying several hundreds of pounds worth of wine for an upcoming professional exam course, I expressed my frustration at being unable to find what I needed. This was when a young salesperson, Ryan, came to my rescue, ably aided and abetted by a security man, Matt, who did not actually work for Waitrose but was interested in wine. The outcome was that after 45 minutes of concerted effort I was able to go on my merry way with my purchases, along with a free bottle of wine and wine carriers thrown in for good measure, in addition to a 5% discount. I felt well satisfied. 


By contrast, in Sainsbury's in Fareham the following morning, at around 7.45am, I approached the deli counter where both of the women present refused to serve me saying 'We don't open until 8am'. I was not impressed. Shame on them, and their employers for allowing such a poor attitude to exist. Someone needs to remind them that it is the customer that pays their wages. It is precisely this negative job's worth attitude that gives British service such a bad name.

No comments:

Post a Comment