Tuesday 7 March 2017

NOT ALL RELIGION IS BAD


We cannot bury our heads in the sand and pretend that some of the horrendous atrocities that have been perpetrated in the name of religion do not exist. Our news is dominated on a regular basis by accounts from both young and old of the abuse they have been subjected to.

It is often the case that those who have suffered at the hands of church leaders will henceforth reject and vilify anything to do with religion; this is perfectly understandable.
However, in disparaging all religion because of the repulsive behaviour of a few, we are in danger of tarring everyone with the same brush. There is good and bad in every society, and whilst we should never, ever, ignore the bad, much can be gained by focusing on the good that is done.

Whatever one’s personal views of charitable activity carried out in the name of religion, my own recent experience in Nairobi at the home for children living with HIV/AIDS run by Christian Organisation Children of God Relief Institute (COGRI) has caused me to think differently about this.

It is no great secret that, coming from a long line of atheists, my own introduction to Christianity has been fairly recent. I have approached it with my eyes wide open, with none of the blind trust that those brought up in a Christian environment often seem to possess.
In agreeing to visit the home for two weeks voluntary work I had not given any thought to a religious connection until it became clear on my arrival.  

On the Sunday we were invited to attend mass in the community centre, which judging by the pool table in the corner obviously doubles up as a games room once the business of the day has been observed. What I enjoyed most about the experience was the extent to which the youngsters were fully involved in both the preparation and in participating in the service itself.

They had clearly been practising their song and dance routines, which to the background noise of a young drummer made me feel that I was truly in Africa. Far from being a serious occasion, the natural rhythmic swaying to the beat of the music was a joy to witness. They had me bopping in the aisles too, although I confess that I did find the sermon rather too long and perhaps not as child friendly as I would have hoped for, given that they made up the vast majority of the congregation.

What I had been witness to during my two weeks stay was the result of one man’s vision of a future for a whole generation of children who through no fault of their own have been born with HIV/AIDS. The persistent stigma and prejudice that still exists in relation to this invidious disease makes projects such as this all the more impressive.    

Rightly, or wrongly, I came away thinking that for these children having a place like Nyumbani to call home is indeed a miracle.


No comments:

Post a Comment