Wednesday 8 March 2017

Fairtrade Fortnight - on the ground in Africa


Keen to support the activities being held in Ilminster during Fairtrade fortnight, Cllr. Linda Vijeh, currently working at a project in Nairobi to support a children's home, went on the hunt for Fairtrade goods so that even though she is 6,773 miles form home she could help to support awareness of this important initiative.

Said Linda, 'As Kenya is one of the main African countries involved in Fairtrade, I thought that it would be simple to find Fairtrade products to buy. Unfortunately, after scouring the supermarket shelves for hours all I came up with was a jar of honey and some tea; no coffee or chocolate to be found at all. While here, I am hoping to meet with officials from the Fair Trade Organisation of Kenya to see what they are doing to promote Fairtrade within the country. I admit that I could not resist buying the 'hangover tea', made from green tea ginger and mint. Given the amount of gin we have been consuming this week I may need it!'     

No comments:

Post a Comment