Thursday 23 March 2017

Finding the right political balance

As the clocks have now move forward to herald the start of spring, the early risers amongst us can also start to look forward to beginning our working days in daylight. In my case I am assisted in rousing myself from slumber by the aid of chirping birds nesting outside the bedroom window; not always welcome on the days when I would prefer a lie in.

The arrival of spring is seen as a time of renewal and regeneration, along with the prospect of some warmer, dryer weather which seems to put a spring in the step of us mere mortals. It is no surprise that local organisations, gearing themselves up to hold their Annual General Meetings, will be considering who they wish to lead them into the fray as they select their Chairmen and committee members for the coming year.

This can often lead to a good deal of lobbying as interested parties jockey for position in the hope of gaining favour amongst their allies or opponents. Where this occurs in politics, and political balance comes into play when selecting positions of power, this can give cause for concern. Consideration is often given to the favours that might be bestowed on opponents in return for that all important casting vote that can be the key to success when it comes to decision making.

In recent weeks, in the space of just a few hours, I was lobbied on four separate occasions over one particular issue. By the end of the day, far from being persuaded to side with one lot or another I felt like digging my heels in. As a member of a political party my leaders have always had some difficulty in ensuring that I will tow the party line when required to do so. I have always been an independent thinker and could not in all conscience go along with something that I really do not believe in, and resist strongly any bullying tactics.

In the case of key decisions that can have an impact on the wider community, such as frakking, the constant stream of emails from one particular group, clogging up my inbox as they implored me to take up their cause, quite frankly became something of a nuisance; so much so that I deleted them unread. I have strong personal views on frakking but this blanket method of communication, at the press of a button, does nothing to gain my sympathy. This is one of the key problems with modern technology, which has fast become the modern version of junk mail.

I favour picketing myself, and always enjoy the presence of the stalwarts at County Hall who, regardless of the weather, take up their positions prior to key meetings. I may not always agree with their views but I admire their conviction and their tenacity. The whole point of such activity is to persuade and influence their target audience.

Of course the majority of the meetings held on behalf of local government are now held in public, providing an opportunity for those who choose to attend to raise questions. It is unfortunate though that so few meetings benefit from the attendance of those most affected by the outcomes. In many cases the challenges made are done so for political motives, rather than the collective good of the community as a whole, but at least we can take some small comfort in the fact that key decisions do not merely become a rubber stamping exercise.   

No comments:

Post a Comment