Sunday 22 June 2014

Don't Knock Scholarships for Poor Kids

I could not help but be interested in all the hoo ha this last week about the issue of public schools, such as Wellington College, and whether or not they should offer scholarships, or if in doing so this is seen to continue to buy into the perpetuating 'elitist' theory that surrounds such institutions.
Speaking from a position of experience, I disagree with the nay sayers entirely. At the tender age of 11, I was plucked from a London council flat, where I lived with my single-parent mother, and sent, as a scholarship boarder, to Westonbirt School in Gloucestershire. Put forward by my primary school teacher, Mrs. Elizabeth Sharpe, it proved to be the turning point that was to shape my future life.
Being away from home for the first time, I cried incessantly, ran away twice, and eventually, having written to the Minster for Education at the time, left to go to grammar school. Having said all that, I still believe that the experience I gained at public school provided the best five terms education of my life, for a number of reasons. Although those of us who were 'scholarship girls', knew who we were I never felt a 'lesser person' for it. The disadvantages I faced were more of a practical nature. My mother did not drive and she could certainly not afford to run a car, so only ever managed to come to visit me once a term. This meant, however, that the families of friends would often invite me home with them for long weekends, or for days out, not always with very successful results; I well recall the 'cider' incident at The Manor House Hotel at Castle Combe.
I started out as a kid with a broad London accent, and ended up speaking with a plumb in my mouth; very useful later in life when the ability to articulate one's views can enable one to mix with all sorts, from whatever background. I also learnt to swear like a trooper too, perhaps not a skill that one should necessarily be proud of!
However, probably the most important aspect of the experience was what it taught me about life skills; being able to sit at a table with others and to eat anything put in front of me, that respect is earnt and not a virtue bestowed on those with titles, to take responsibility for my own actions, to have the confidence go anywhere and do anything without fear, and sadly, a lifelong hatred of all sporting activity, borne out of miserable, cold, wet, mornings spent playing lacrosse!
It is these life skills that we used to learn within our family environment, before it became so disjointed, and from a time when schools had the capacity to consider these intangible elements that go to make up the people that we become.
More importantly though, without the opportunity to attend public school, I would never have met the girl who remains my best friend, almost 50 years on. It is at this stage in life that we make the connections that can see us through thick and thin, no matter what. Whilst public school may not suit everyone, I believe it would be morally wrong to deny anyone this opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment