Sunday 22 June 2014

Why Rod Still Rocks My Boat

I’m not much of a fan of pop or rock concerts, in part because I’m not great at being surrounded by hoards of people, and I don’t much care for all the hanging around waiting for the ‘main act’ to appear. Until this week, I think the last one I attended was about 20 years ago.
On hearing that Rod was to appear in Taunton I did give it some thought, and then immediately dismissed the idea, in part due to the cost of the tickets. Then, quite suddenly, two things happened that changed my mind and caused me to shell out, shock horror, a whopping great £300 for a VIP ticket. Firstly, an unexpected tax rebate found its way into my bank account, and then a long standing friend of almost 40 years, who I’d not seen for some time, contacted me to ask if I was up for going. Spurred on by the thought that it was all for a good cause, St. Margaret's Hospice,  and in an increasingly common moment of rash behaviour, which I put down to my rapidly advancing years, I am delighted that I decided to take the plunge, and we managed to obtain the last two tickets left. 
We all tend to like the music we grew up with, and ‘Maggie May’ will forever remind me of the discos of my youth, back in the 70s, but I was apprehensive that at his advanced age Rod might not be quite up to it. I’ve also not been keen on the ‘crooner’ style he seems to have adopted lately. I’d geared myself up for the same level of disappointment I’d had when I saw Frank Sinatra perform towards the end of his career. Would Rod just turn out to be a has-been who doesn’t know when to quit? How wrong could I have been?!
This was a tremendous performance, which had the audience of 18,000, mainly couples over 40, bopping in the aisles; providing a far better workout than anything the NHS could ever prescribe to tone up our sagging thighs and flabby arms. What impressed me most however, apart from his signature raspy voice, was the way in which he was able to really connect with his audience and to read its mood; one could easily feel that he was singing to each of us as individuals. This was not some slick, carefully choreographed, performance, with a set that was all bells and whistles. Apart from his great backing singers and musicians, it was all about the music, which has clearly stood the test of time. There also appeared to be a total lack of the self-conscious ego one gets with younger performers. He displayed the confidence of someone who knows that he has long since earned his place in our affections.
He was on stage for almost two hours and it was hard to tell who was enjoying the performance more, him or us. In his tribute to the events surrounding D-Day he had the crowd with him, and by the time he had run though many of his old favourites, we were eating out his hand. This was one true pro who still knows how to deliver a good gig; and at 69, is he still sexy? You betcha he is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment