Monday 3 October 2016

BA sandwiches - the mile high dining club

I was interested to read recent reports about BA’s decision to downgrade its economy catering offering. Given my own rather sorry experience with the airline in the last 24 hours I am not in the least surprised.



I encountered some real customer service issues in connection with a cancelled flight from Mumbai to Heathrow, which were only resolved by the direct intervention of chief executive Alex Cruz, who I eventually contacted in a fit of frustration and anger. To be fair, once I had done so my original concerns were dealt with promptly and efficiently. The problem is that it had taken me 8 hours of my own time and money, when one quick phone call should have been sufficient.

Once on board I felt that the catering on both the outbound and inbound flights left much to be desired; there is clearly something seriously wrong.
In Traveller Plus, where I was seated, there was none of the usual offering of nuts etc. with drinks, and for the main meal there was a 50% shortage of the chicken meal offered; instead of the chicken with dauphinoise potatoes, roasted veg. and mushroom sauce indicated on the menus provided, we were given chicken with mashed potatoes, carrots and peas from economy. No big deal you might think, but who in their right mind would provide potato salad as a starter (potatoes, followed by potatoes?!) and then to top it all serve a second meal later in the flight of…. chicken, again!

The quality of all of the food offered was extremely poor. Why there is felt to be the need for a hot meal, which always tastes like the worst kind of cheap ready meal, is beyond me.

Going down the sandwich route, even on long haul flights, may well be a better option for all concerned, and I can appreciate the need for a handling charge.  
The current constraints imposed by security, many of them out of all proportion to the risks involved, make it practically impossible for passengers to take on board their own food.

Catering, even on a tight budget, is not rocket science. A more sensible option for all travellers would be to allow people to do this, or to order in advance and pick up a doggy bag on boarding. Far better that than the mass catered option which in its current state makes school dinners look good.

In recent years I have taken to buying ‘Gordon Ramsay Plane Food’ picnics to eat on board. For £14 the choice of 3 gourmet courses from which to make a selection is excellent, the presentation is super, and it all comes beautifully packed in a smart coolbag.

In the case of BA, I cannot help but notice that nowhere does there appear to be any consideration for what the customer might actually want. Having worked in the service industry for over 30 years I know that this is really the only thing that counts.

I am passionate about supporting our national businesses, but I also want to feel proud in doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment