Friday 12 September 2014

1400 Abused And Sex Lessons For 7 Year Olds


I spend a lot of time in the car. Hence, I get to hear the news, a lot. Two main news items, repeated every hour, caught my attention. Unsurprisingly, the shocking news of the level of child abuse uncovered in Rotherham was the main item. No matter how often it was repeated I continued to be horrified, although sadly, unsurprised. A spokesperson from the NSPCC commented that there had been ‘collective blindness’ in uncovering the extent. I would argue that a more appropriate phrase might have been ‘collective disregard’, and collusion. We can be sure that the figures quoted, of over 1400, only just scratch at the surface of the magnitude of this. For every one we now know about there will be countless others, and in many other cities across the country too. Abuse on this scale cannot possibly take place, over such a long period of time, without someone, somewhere, knowing about it.
The other news item, seemingly unconnected, was the call for sex education for 7 year olds. Once interviews with interested parties had taken place, I noticed the distinct sound of back-pedalling, as the social do-gooders began to talk about ‘relationships’ instead.
It has come to a sad and sorry state of affairs when we talk of ‘teaching’ children about relationships. I would have thought that learning how to build relationships, whether social or sexual, is something that in a well balanced society takes place naturally, beginning in the school playground; learning to take turns, sharing, give and take. Given the parlous state of our education budgets I would have thought the money could be better spent on educating children to achieve decent levels in the core subjects, where as a country we still languish near the bottom of the league tables. I can well recall some 50 years later my first ever kiss, in the cloakroom at junior school, and didn’t feel at all damaged by it. He was captain of the boys’ team, I was captain of the girls’ team, and I can still remember his name; surprising really, given how many kisses I’ve had since.  
Back to these broken young lives in Rotherham. As young as they were, they will have experienced more ‘sex’ education, of the worst possible kind, and the effect that unhealthy relationships can have, as a result of the grooming that undoubtedly took place. It was no coincidence that the vast majority of the girls, and they were mainly girls, were in care. The perpetrators knew how to pick their victims; the most vulnerable in our society. In these cases the blame lays firmly at the door of those responsible for their care. I know from my own experience that such youngsters can be difficult to deal with. So would we be, if we had led the tragic lives that had caused them to be in care.
I return once again to ‘sex education for 7 year olds’. How will it make those in receipt of these ‘relationship’ classes feel, to discover, in many cases, just how dysfunctional their lives are at home? I doubt that those making such daft decisions have any idea. Any available money, if indeed there is any, would be far better spent on preventing such abuse. Somerset County Council was recently criticised publicly for employing a very highly paid head of Children’s Services. At the time I defended this action, if for no other reason than that I intend to make sure we get our money’s worth in protecting our children. Sorry is just not good enough. I want to see heads roll. 

No comments:

Post a Comment