Friday 12 September 2014

Scottish Referendum Debate

To be perfectly honest I don’t have much of a view on whether or not Scotland decides to go it alone next month, except perhaps to stock up on supplies of my favourite things in the event that the vote goes their way and they decide to put a tax on Scottish raspberries, smoked salmon and whisky, of course. There has been a good deal of filibustering in recent weeks, with each side determined to have their say in persuading what appears to be a majority of those eligible to vote who remain firmly in the ‘undecided’ camp.  I did not witness the debate myself but if reports of it are anything to go by then neither side would be likely to get my vote. Apparently both Alistair Darling and Alex Salmond showed just how immature they were by their childish, shouting, argumentative manner during the proceedings. What one might have hoped for was intelligent, well considered deliberations, backed up by evidence to support their view. This was clearly not forthcoming. I understand that Salmond has not one, but three, plan Bs. I don’t believe that in the heat of the moment Darling, or the rest of us, were able to discover just what they are. I am beginning to think that perhaps this battle might have been better fought out in the boxing ring. At least then we could have all had a good wager on the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment