Saturday 13 September 2014

Publishing Letters From Women

It was with a high degree of interest that I listened to reports this morning of concern over the small number of women who appear in the letters pages of our printed media. In my particularly case, given my frequent appearances, it is a cause of wry amusement; on occasion readers have even been known to complain about my prolific output. One can listen to all of the arguments about gender imbalance, and the fact that women just don't have the time to write, but this is plainly codswallop. In my particular case, I spend a lot of time in the car, and rather than listen to music, I prefer to hear what's going on in the world, hence my passion for BBC Radio 4. On reaching my destination, I have had the opportunity to shout out my opinion of whatever the hot topic of the day happens to be, in the privacy of my own car. By then I have also already formed the letter I want to write in my mind. Writing it down, and sending it out into the wider world, is the most blessed relief; the perfect way to relieve pent up frustration at the injustices of this world. If, and when, my penmanship is published, there is also the satisfaction of knowing that I may influence others, even if it is only to respond in disagreement; rather that than apathy. It certainly saves bashing my head against the wall, or beating up the cat. By the way, this took me less than 10 minutes to write. There are those who may say, 'I can see that it did by the lack of quality.' Who cares? Not me that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment