Saturday 13 September 2014

Do Exams Really Matter?

As the summer-long wait for ‘A’ level exam results comes to its conclusion this week, and with ‘GCSEs’ hot on their heels, but yet to come, it would seem that so far at least hearty congratulations are due all round. Students and staff at both local secondary schools, Wadham and Holyrood, have shown once again that the hard work and dedication of all concerned certainly pays off in terms of preparing our youngsters for a successful future. I confess to a vested interest here, as I creep relentlessly towards retirement; I need them all to be well qualified so that they can keep the economy going to ensure there is sufficient to pay my pension when the time comes!  
On a more serious note, I am mindful of those who may not have done as well as they might have liked. As I know too well, all is not lost, and time is on your side. I am on my fourth career, and would not be averse to just one more before I hang up my boots.
I am also aware of an interview with Sir Ken Robinson, and the high level of public attention that has resulted from his TED (Technology, Entertainment and Design) speech. In it he advocates a radical change to the way in which we teach. This has prompted headlines along the lines of ‘Is dancing more important than maths? Whilst on the surface this may appear flagrantly inflammatory, in considering his views in more depth, if not entirely in agreement, I am inclined to see where he is coming from.  
Personally, I believe that a more formal style of teaching is important, especially where key subjects such as maths and English are concerned. It teaches us a certain level of discipline, which in such a competitive employment environment is necessary, along with the ‘bit of paper’ to prove one’s worth, sadly. That conventional approach to learning is what best suits me; sit me down, tell me what I’ve got to learn, give me the information, leave me to it and then test me. I have no time for the current trend towards producing portfolios, having recently completed two new qualifications by this method.
However, I can appreciate that others, and I would suggest the majority, prefer to carry out their learning in a variety of ways; not always sat behind the traditional desk, or in restricting the development of their knowledge to that of the usual academic subjects.
In his speech, Sir Ken shares his belief that We are educating people out of their creativity’; that the hierarchy that places a higher value on the core curriculum subjects is out of kilter with our modern world.
I can see the argument that perhaps dance and the other ‘arty’ subjects are just as important as maths., where the opportunities for individual creativity in employment are greater than they have ever been.
I am firmly of the opinion that what is more important than anything is to be able to discover and unleash someone’s passion. This could equally be for solving difficult mathematical equations, as for creating a new dance step. It is only by tapping into someone’s enthusiasm that the individual concerned can really flourish. My passion has always been food. At the time I went to school it was unthinkable for a grammar school to offer it at ‘A’ level. This did not deter me later in life, when through personal circumstances I needed to find a way to keep a roof over my head, I took a leap into the unknown, and started cooking for a living, with no formal training. The journey from then on was extraordinary. Yes, I can spell, and am able to use my brain by adding up my purchases faster than any supermarket machine, but achieving the recognition I enjoyed as a cook has nothing to do with much more than being able to follow my passion. I needed very little, if any, motivation to want to be the best.
So, very well done to all of those who have sailed through their education thus far with flying colours. To the rest, you are not yet failures. There are many, ways to achieve something in life. The most important, which is something that cannot be taught, is your attitude.   

No comments:

Post a Comment