Monday 3 February 2014

Ring Tones Tell You All You Need To Know

My personal bandwagons are many and various but there is little that works me up into a frenzy more than the current bad behaviour exhibited by those whose mobile phone use I find intrusive and just plain rude.
I am old enough to remember the time when once you left the house you became incommunicado, unless you were able to find a public phone, and have sufficient 2p pieces to shove in the box while pressing button A or button B. My memory is now not as good as it was, but I don't recall us suffering to any great degree as a result.
Don't get me wrong, mobile phones are a blessing, but there is a place and a time for them. I have a very long standing friend, who when I call her often answers and then immediately says "I can't talk now, I'm in a meeting." I'm left wondering, "Then why did you answer the wretched thing?"
For some reason people now expect you to be available 24/7 by virtue of the fact that you own a mobile. "I tried to call you, why didn't you answer?" is a common refrain, and I'm tempted to respond, "If it was so urgent, why didn't you leave a message then?"
On public transport, in doctor's waiting rooms, at the theatre, in shops, we are constantly bombarded by other people's personal conversations, or their lack of attention while they text away to their heart's content.
Most annoying of all however, given the large number of meetings I attend, are those who insist on using their mobiles during meetings, whether openly or covertly.
All it says to me is that the guilty party thinks that they are sufficiently important, and everyone else in the room is sufficiently unimportant, to choose to deny or grant others their full attention. This is particularly disturbing when matters of importance are being discussed affecting the people who vote us into public office. I believe it shows a distinct disregard and contempt for others, and it happens from CEO level down. I can think of nothing that warrants such behaviour, and would argue that if whatever it is they need to do, or whoever it is they need to be in contact with, is of such import, then maybe they shouldn't attend the meeting in the first place.
I know of one councillor who also does the crossword during meetings, and it is a constant source of frustration when chairpersons fail to address this.
If this sort of behaviour continues, instead of frisking people for weapons, we should do the same for mobiles, and confiscate them.
Don't even get me started on ring tones; they say everything you need to know about the person, enough said.
What's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment