Thursday 6 February 2014

Why was flooding help so late coming?

I saw, and heard with interest, BBC news reports of the sudden support activity in relation to the on-going serious flood situation in Somerset.
However, I feel that I must correct the Minister concerned, who when questioned, stated that Somerset had not received any outside intervention or help until now because the county council had only requested it then.
That is entirely untrue, and I expect the Minister to retract the statement. I know first hand that there has been constant pressure for some time in relation to getting the support that we needed.
I am also astounded at statements made by both Lord Smith, and Owen Patterson of the Environment Agency, over the intended proposals for putting future plans in place. Why weren’t plans already in place?
This London centric government continues to ignore the issues facing us here in the South West, but along with others I will continue to demand that we get our fair share.

No comments:

Post a Comment