Thursday 20 February 2014

Throwing Toys out of the Pram


I don’t know what it is about adults "throwing toys out of the pram" but there’s been a lot of it going on recently.
It must be something to do with the appalling weather we’ve been experiencing where saint-like tolerance is increasingly in short supply.
Virtually every organisation I’m involved with seems to be struggling with upset of one kind or another, and on an unprecedented level.  I’d like to add here that as far as I’m aware, I am NOT the common denominator in the midst of all this angst.
Downing tools and upping sticks seems to be par for the course this year so far. Chief Execs.  and board members resigning at the drop of a hat, and it’s not just the men that have been behaving badly.
What bothers me about all of this is that clearly those individuals concerned feel that their own needs come before that of the greater good. I cannot deny that from time to time, with one endless meeting after another, I say to myself ‘Is it all worth it? Why am I bothering?’, and on occasion I do come close to saying ‘enough is enough’.
Then I step back and take the time to remind myself why indeed I bother at all. It seems rather trite to say ‘because I want to make a difference’ but that would neatly sum it all up.  
Providing a voice for those that don’t feel that they have one, to challenge authority on behalf of those that wouldn’t dare, to protect those that need it, to listen when no-one else will. These are the things that make all the time and effort worthwhile.
When a youngster in care recently said to me, ‘Linda, you have to come on the next residential, otherwise it wouldn’t be the same without you.’ I suddenly didn’t mind that it would mean giving up my weekend.
As we get older many of us become involved in a wide variety of charitable organisations, mainly in a voluntary capacity in the spirit of the ‘big society’.
This can mean a period of adjustment for those who have perhaps had high powered careers; learning to be the new kid on the block, not always in charge, and having to listen to the views of others, who in some cases we may not have due regard for. It can be a steep, but valuable, learning curve and open us up to new experiences, and a new way of thinking. If we remain open minded and willing to learn.
I have learned, that despite the frustrations, it is much easier to influence an organisation from within, but in order to do that we need to put our personal vexation to one side, and work towards achieving the best possible outcomes for all concerned.
 It is only by embracing this ethos that we can all pull together to make a real difference to a society where it is increasingly difficult to meet the ongoing challenges with a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment