Tuesday 24 December 2013

Attitude is Everything

My efforts to support local causes is well known but I was not at all prepared for what was presented to me today, while I was busy helping out at the Big Book Sale at The Market House in Ilminster to raise much needed funds for local charity Purple Field Productions.


Back in February I had attended the MAdD Hatters Tea Party, geld in Horton, to raise funds for their upcoming trip to the Edinburgh Fringe in August. I was successful in my bid to have a personalised poem written for me, which was to be written by local student Rosie Colthorpe, who is currently studying theology and worship in London.


Well, today she arrived with it, beautifully decorated and framed, and I have to say I am completely bowled over by her efforts, given that we had never spoken or met. Apparently she had, in her own words 'stalked me' on Google to provide material from which she produced the following:-


Attitude is Everything

The fight is over
And the job is done
She can go put her feet up
Now the battle is won

It's been long and tiring
And she needs her rest
But the challenge was worth it
She certainly did her best

The community is happy
Thanks to the goodness of her heart
But with so many problems
This is only the start

She's loyal till the end
Doing anything she can
Working for as long as possible
To make sure it all goes to plan

She's dedicated herself to the local people
To give them a better home
Their worries become her worries
Meaning they aren't alone

But even when she's at home
And she's left the office behind
The people that she dearly love
Are never far from her mind

And so she serves them
Prepared to do anything
Because in order to succeed
Attitude is everything

I could not wish for a more flattering view and it will certainly become one of my most treasured possessions. I recently asked my constituents to complete an online anonymous survey about my performance as their District Councillor, and am delighted that I scored 100% for involvement in the community - however, there are a few areas where they have told me I need to pull my socks up a little, so I guess I shall just have to keep working at it for a while longer!  

No comments:

Post a Comment