Tuesday 24 December 2013

Negotiation

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.’ 1
Occasionally, what seems best at the time can in hindsight turn out to be the worst decision of your life. Just as what you win can in retrospect turn out to be quite the poisoned chalice.
‘’Be careful what you wish for, it may come back to haunt you”, I thought long and hard, five years on, as I stood looking at the combined force of my opponents across the courtroom, after a failed management buyout in which I’d played an active part.
Newly returned from a highly successful stint in the United States, where I had achieved, if not fame then recognition, for my skills as a top-notch chef and food consultant I was homeless and jobless.
Stuck in deepest darkest Wales that winter, a colleague told me about an upcoming contract to help re-vamp a major hotel and restaurant guide.
It’s not what you know, it’s who you know’. The most valuable piece of information I’ve ever received; from my ex-father in law, former Chief Exec. of a major professional football club. Trouble was, after 10 years out of the country I knew no-one in the business, and the application deadline was the next day.
With few available resources, no mobile, no ready access to a landline and my luggage yet to arrive I had to fall on my own initiative and negotiate the contract in my own special way.
Quick off the mark and formidable under pressure I made a mad dash to the nearest store some miles away and bought …... greetings cards.
By the following morning I’d cut them up, and putting my previous career as a sales trainer to good use, I’d produced a story-board ad campaign for the guide. The culmination of this was one depicting an old photo of me naked, reclining on a table laden with food, glass of bubbly in hand, with the caption – ‘Last year, this woman slept in over 200 different beds on your behalf, aren’t you glad she did?’
Well, gentlemen, you may not choose to give me the contract but you’ll never forget our meeting’ I said, as I walked out of the room.
It was only several months later, having gained the aforementioned contract, I discovered they’d breathed a collective sigh of relief as my presentation came to its close. On my departure the CEO was heard to say ‘We have to have her’.
Negotiation over. A win-win situation for everyone.
They’d gained a passionate, dynamic front-person for their ailing guide, and I’d got the contract everyone dreams of, beating several hundred other applicants.
I never stopped to think whether or not the short skirt, high heels and tight fitted jacket might have played a part in winning them over. After all, what is negotiation but the art of getting what you want whilst allowing the other side to walk away smiling? I like putting the smile on someone’s face. 
 
1 Dickens – A Tale of Two Cities

No comments:

Post a Comment