Tuesday 24 December 2013

Should Fast Food Be Banned?

One of the subjects chosen for debate by Year 6 Swanmead Community School students at this year's Rotary Youth Speaks competition was 'Should fast food advertising be allowed?' 
Those debating the subject came to the conclusion that fast food advertising should be banned, and that the sale of such foods in school should also be banned
I couldn't help but notice that there were several news items during the week on the same subject, with a call for a ban on advertising sugary foods in order to stem the growing waistline of childhood obesity.
I disagree entirely, as I believe we are missing the point here.
Fast food and sweets, like cigarettes and alcohol, are all legal substances so I fail to see why it is we continue to allow the 'nanny state' to push for the ban on advertising of them.
We turn a blind eye to the subversive sale of illegal drugs, yet we use the 'big stick' approach towards things that, yes can be harmful to our health, but are perfectly legitimate.
If we care that much, and believe they are so harmful, then why not just ban them?
I will be the first to admit that as I am childless, not by choice, I don't have to face the daily tantrums and demands of my offspring; but I do have a lot of involvement with children of all ages.
Where are we trying to teach them that they can't have everytihng they want, and to accept the word 'No'?
Each and every day we are all faced with temptations, overeating, excessive drinking, ovespending and getting into debt.... the list is endless.
The real issue is about 'self control'. Many of us have it, and many of us don't; this is the real social issue. Times are hard, so I would defend our right to the odd treat to cheer us up. And that's what is should remain, the odd forbidden treat. Bridget Jones comes to mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment