Tuesday 24 December 2013

Poppies, Pride and Patriotism



I always feel that the sight of the bright red poppies worn on everyone’s lapels at this dull and dank time of year gives me pause for thought; about the reasons behind ‘Remembrance Day’. I consider the fragile ethereal beauty of these hardy blooms as they appeared on the battle fields of Flanders, the first flowers to grow on the soldiers’ graves, and the inspiration behind the World War 1 poem, ‘In Flanders Fields’, by John McCrae. This makes me wonder what lessons we have learned in the intervening years about the futility of war. Man is by nature not a peaceful being, but when I consider the cost of war, not just in terms of the lives lost and families destroyed, but also the economic cost to society; building weapons of war, and re-building towns and cities in the wake of their use, I can't help but feel helpless. Nowadays of course ‘war’ takes on a new and very sinister meaning, that of the war against terrorism, which knows no bounds and abides by no rules of engagement, a threat to us all, going about our daily business. The least we can all do is to support The Royal British Legion, whose work continues to ensure that our military personnel, and the debt we owe them, right or wrong, is repaid in what I see as a peaceful protest. Fiercely patriot, but not xenophobic I hope, I shall continue to wear my poppy with pride, lest I forget what has gone before, and the price paid to ensure my freedom.


No comments:

Post a Comment