Tuesday 24 December 2013

YEOVIL V BRENTFORD - WINNERS AND LOSERS



I’ve never been a football fan, although I admit to having ‘dated’ one of Yeovil Town’s players some years ago . 
Whilst I share the evident sheer joy of the club’s tremendous and well deserved success, it is with mixed feelings that their opponents should have been Brentford, as my first husband’s father was general manager of the team, back in the 1970s when they enjoyed something of a heyday.
What was apparent last weekend however, is that as far as I can tell, despite the intense disappointment, (or would the word ‘gutted’ better describe their reaction) both The Bees and their fans behaved in a manner fitting to the occasion, sportsmanlike.
The sign of a well bred sportsman, according to Debrett’s Guide to British Behaviour, is someone who is ‘Magnanimous in Victory, Gracious in Defeat’.
Victory can sometimes be bitter sweet, but a ‘win is a win’ as they say.
Of course in entering any type of ‘game’, be it a sporting activity, promotion at work or politics, we all want to win, otherwise why would we enter?
Beware those however for whom winning is the ultimate goal; tennis, racing, motor sport, cycling are all examples of where many of those we once admired have fallen by the wayside due to the greed fuelled desire for the power of winning.
I know only too well that success is not always guaranteed, and where there are winners there will always be losers, but that shouldn’t stop one from trying; attitude is everything is my constant mantra, and if you fail first time around, in the words of the song ‘pick yourself up, dust yourself down and start all over again’. I’ve been doing it all my life and i don’t think it’s done me much harm.

No comments:

Post a Comment