Tuesday 24 December 2013

The Real Cost of Road Closures


Whilst it is admirable that local councils are keen to ensure that the county’s roads are properly maintained, I am increasingly engaged in conversations with local businesses that are suffering significantly as a result of this. They feel that their ongoing viability is seriously threatened, especially when the closure extends into several weeks or months.
One has to accept that in certain instances, particularly along our winding country roads, work can only be completed by closing the road. It is however, frustrating that having been informed of the date and length of the closure that this is either changed or extended, often for some considerable time. In my own case I have found that often when there is a ‘road closed’ sign that, early in the day, late at night or at weekends, there is in fact no need for this, and like many a local, I know that despite the sign there will be no road works to navigate.
Not only is there disruption for those travelling to and fro, both in terms of the additional time it takes to carry out their journey, but also the added cost of fuel where detours can be several miles long. It is however businesses I am most concerned about. I would fully expect that during the period of disruption their rates would be rebated at the very least, and consideration given to suitable compensation where appropriate, in addition to assistance with marketing and publicity material to alleviate their loss. I understand that on speaking with the owners of one local business that their trade drops by as much as 90%, for weeks at a time, which can hardly be fair at a time when all local councils should be doing everything they can to help. There must surely be a balance of interests somewhere. Incidentally, on writing this down in deepest, darkest Cornwall, where I work for around three days a month, and on looking up the Cornwall County Council website, I see they are keen to let residents know that since April 2013 they have answered in excess of 463,000 calls; that’s not far short of 2 calls per household across the entire county. Not something they should be at all proud of to my mind; if it were up to me I’d be asking what it is that’s going wrong for them to need to receive so many calls.


No comments:

Post a Comment