Tuesday 24 December 2013

Big Brother in Care Homes


Over the years since the publication of George Orwell's 1984, in 1949, and my exposure to it during my school years studying for 'O' levels, I have often wondered how long it would take for it to become reality. Each year we seem to get closer and closer to a police state where our every movement is monitored and analysed. Speed cameras, CCTV cameras in our town centres, GPS tracking devices on our cars and mobile phones, and now the threat of hidden cameras in care homes. Initially I was all for it, as I have mentioned on other occasions my own fear of growing older and being at the mercy of others who may care little for my physical or mental welfare, and may even choose to abuse me when at my most vulnerable. However, if I were resident in a care home would I want my every movement observed, even if for my own protection? Would this mean, I wonder, cameras in every toilet and bathroom where the most intimate tasks take place, often requiring assistance? It would be under these circumstances, where one would hope for a high degree of privacy, that the opportunity for inappropriate behaviour would be most likely to present itself to abusive carers. Does this mean that those observing these cameras will be sniggering to see our vulnerability and discomfort, or will the evidence only be seen once concerns are raised, when it may well be too late? I very much doubt they could be installed without anyone knowing, and I would want to know who would have access to the content. If I am the innocent party shouldn't I be informed that I might be filmed? Perhaps a better idea would be for those lucky individuals still living in their own homes, and relying on visiting carers, to have them installed, but who would foot the bill for the installation and the maintenance of them? There are many questions to be answered before this knee jerk reaction to an ongoing problem is put in place. In the first instance, from what I've seen of CQC reports, which still leave much to be desired, there needs to be less attention paid to systems and process, and a more common sense approach to observing what is really going on. It's a sad day for us all when this should become necessary, but there is still no substitute for each and every one of us to keep our eyes and ears open. Otherwise, at this rate it won't be long before the thought police get us too.    

No comments:

Post a Comment