Tuesday 24 December 2013

CHAMPAGNE - MEMORIES ARE MADE OF THIS


Council flat kid made good, that’s me. I’m a good time girl, always have been, and as everyone knows, you can’t have a good time without champagne as your companion. Champagne for me is a wine alive with memories, good and bad, just as its very appearance in the glass is so very much alive when compared with other wines. The anticipation of those tiny bubbles bursting to the top only to explode in a rich yeasty aroma serves to lift my spirits, however low, along with them.
Despite my modest upbringing, as soon as I began earning my own money I knew what my priorities were, quality over quantity every time. For the last 20 years never a day has gone by when I have not had champagne, for I don’t drink mine, I ‘have it’ as one would a lover. The ultimate seducer, I enjoy the silent ‘woosh’ as the bottle reveals its intimate contents, not the loud ‘pop’ of the clumsy and inexperienced, for by its very nature, this wine is mature and knows what it’s doing. Only one glass mind, it shouldn’t be taken for granted, for familiarity breeds contempt, and usually at 5pm. After living in the Orient I gained the habit of an afternoon snooze to recharge batteries, and what better way to wake them up than to settle into a warm bath with a glass of champagne? No company mind you, for the hour is my own to indulge and spoil, for if you can’t spoil yourself, who can? Not for me the hoarding for ‘special occasions’ or when guests come to stay, for what better thing is there than champagne to turn every day into a special one? Something only the decadent by nature can fully appreciate. Not any champagne will do, for each has its own distinctive character. I find more pleasure, for this is the nub of it, in discovering a little known house, rather than indulging in the common touch of the big brash house styles loved by lottery winners and football stars, who give this king of wines a bad name by the very manner of their usage.
Champagne is not something you can remain indifferent to, people generally fall into one of two camps, the ‘love it’ or ‘hate it’ brigade, which suits me fine as there is nothing mediocre about me. Too many of us are introduced to this exquisite beverage at family weddings or functions, where in place of the ‘real thing’, for champagne, thankfully, can only truly come from Champagne, one is treated to a dubious imposter, no wonder the hoi polloi are left wondering its virtues - all the more for me.
Living in the USA, and too poor to afford the quality I crave, I volunteered to pour at tastings, and to cook (for I was a chef then) for such illustrious beings as Serena Sutcliffe and Michael Broadbent, just to have the opportunity of maintaining my daily fix - for once you are hooked you can’t let go. I can recall as if it was yesterday the most memorable glass of wine I have ever imbibed, at a vertical tasting in New York. We sampled every vintage since the first world war - the ’21 was good but was beginning to lose its sparkle and revert to the still wine from which it was made, but the ’47 was truly magnificent and will remain in my memory for ever. I declared at the time I would marry the first man who bought me a case, and rather rashly meant it, despite the presence of the 11 typically neurotic therapy seeking New Yorkers at my table, how foolish it made me.
One of my most treasured possessions is a champagne stopper, given as a parting gift by a friend who fully understood my nature when I left my first husband to travel around the world, what comfort it brought me in the small hours of the night far from home in mosquito ridden jungles, the evocation of more comfortable times past, and those to come. Who knows, for tomorrow we may die.
Love it, or hate it, like me, it’s in a class of its own. I am special, shouldn’t you be too?

No comments:

Post a Comment